Friday, December 20, 2013

Sometimes I come across a Vegan recipe that I want to make BUT it has all these crazy spices or things I would never buy anyway, so I improvise, like I did when I was a regular cook, and I've got to tell you, I have a winner here today!!
So, it started out as "Chickpea, Coconut, and Cashew Curry" and ended up being Tara's Chickpea, Pepper, and Potato Almond Curry--and it was delish!

3 T olive oil
1 medium onion sliced thin
1/2 large green pepper, chopped
1 -2 tsp chopped garlic
1/2 tsp ginger--I buy mine pulverized in a jar in the produce dept--makes it simple
2 cups almond milk, unsweetened, or try coconut almond milk--yum, didn't have that one though
1 can chickpeas drained
1 large potato diced
1-2 cups spinach--chopped
1/3 bunch of cilantro, chopped
Ok, this is a guess, because I sprinkle this stuff in and add more if needed:
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp curry
garlic salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat up oil, add onion, potato, chickpeas, green pepper and brown them all up.  Then add the garlic and ginger, cook that for a few minutes then add the almond milk. Add your spices, and then after the chickpeas and potatoes are cooked and hot, I mashed as many as I could to thicken the broth up.  (Be careful with the potato masher, I have a love/hate relationship with mine, it always slips and I end up with 1/2 my meal on me and the floor).

Now, because this is the way I cook, it needed a little creamy something, so when I looked in my fridge, I saw jalapeno cream cheese (for our bagels) and put about 2 T of that in there--I know, I never professed to be a 100% Vegan...I feel the shame for about 30 seconds...  So it does need a little kick of something, so put a sprinkle or two of chili powder or your favorite hot stuff.

Make some brown rice to pour the curry on and yum, it's done when you say so.

Then, I needed some of the flat bread you get when you go to the Indian food restaurants, so I had to google soda bread because I couldn't wait for any yeast type breads...

So--make some bread to dip in your curry:
3 C flour
1 C soy milk w/ 1 T apple cider vinegar (or any vinegar to sour it up)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking soda

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and pour in the sour milk--I had to add about 1/4 c water for mine to get a nice soft dough.
Roll it out in a circle that will fit in the bottom of your fry pan.  Heat up your pan on medium and throw that circle in there and let it cook for a few minutes.  When I flipped mine over I gave it a brush of butter (BAD vegan)and some garlic salt.

Serve with your curry and rice and embrace your garlic breath!!

I always forget to take pictures--I'll do better next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment